Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 53

Thread: Repace Diaphragms myself or send them to GPA?......

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Repace Diaphragms myself or send them to GPA?......

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    ... I feel that they lost some magnetism even though they are Ferrite/ceramic all magnets lose magnetism and the longer the period plus right conditions the greater the loss.
    ...Maybe on this planet...;

    15
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Cut-Throat's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 15th, 2005
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Repace Diaphragms myself or send them to GPA?......

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd W. White View Post
    Send them to GPA - the price is the same AND they guarantee they'll work right! You're only out the shipping as an extra cost, but the guarantee is worth it.
    One thing that 'bothers' me a little, is that the replacement diaphragms that GPA uses for the 288-16K, requires a 'conversion kit'.

    There are other diaphragms that are sold by Sound Speaker Repair in Arizona that fit the Original Altec Drivers. And they are guaranteed as well. I am inclined to not install a conversion kit.

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: Repace Diaphragms myself or send them to GPA?......

    The conversion kit is only for the wire leads - the older drivers use screw terminals, the newer ones have push-on connectors. All the kit does is convert your wires to the newer style connector.

    Trust us on this - the aftermarket/non-GPA(Altec) diaphragms do NOT sound right, and, in many cases do not fit, even with a guarantee.

    It's not like putting aftermarket car parts in your car - no one makes them like Altec/GPA!
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Repace Diaphragms myself or send them to GPA?......

    One thing that 'bothers' me a little, is that the replacement diaphragms that GPA uses for the 288-16K, requires a 'conversion kit'.
    Not to worry.

    If i'm not mistaken, the "conversion kit" is simply a new pair of lead wires that connect the rear cover mounted terminals to the terminals on the diaphragm mounting hub.

    "Conversion" is necessary as new style diaphragms use 1/4" push on type connectors, whereas older diaphragms used a screw terminal. It's simply a matter of different connectors on the diaphragm end of those wires.

    Depending on the exact vintage of your drivers, they may already use the new style setup.

    At any rate, GPA will supply you with everything you need including instructions, except for a good philips head screwdriver(non magnetic a big +) and steady hand.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Repace Diaphragms myself or send them to GPA?......


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Repace Diaphragms myself or send them to GPA?......

    Quote Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
    One thing that 'bothers' me a little, is that the replacement diaphragms that GPA uses for the 288-16K, requires a 'conversion kit'.

    There are other diaphragms that are sold by Sound Speaker Repair in Arizona that fit the Original Altec Drivers. And they are guaranteed as well. I am inclined to not install a conversion kit.
    REAL ALTEC DIAPHRAGMS required the conversion kit!

    It's just a couple of wires.

    From my viewpoint it is kinda odd to think about using aftermarket stuff for incredibly minor reasons, the post just leaves me aghast.

    I would NEVER use an aftermarket fram when the originals are as reasonably priced as they are. It makes less than no sense.

    Yes GPS frams are originals...made on Altec tooling by former Altec employees, and sold as originals by Altec Pro.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Cut-Throat's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 15th, 2005
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Repace Diaphragms myself or send them to GPA?......

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    REAL ALTEC DIAPHRAGMS required the conversion kit!

    It's just a couple of wires.

    From my viewpoint it is kinda odd to think about using aftermarket stuff for incredibly minor reasons, the post just leaves me aghast.
    Some of us here are not as knowledgeable as you about Altec, Hence the question. I thought that was what this forum was for?

    So Excuuuuuuuuuuse me !

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Repace Diaphragms myself or send them to GPA?......

    Quote Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
    Some of us here are not as knowledgeable as you about Altec, Hence the question. I thought that was what this forum was for?

    So Excuuuuuuuuuuse me !
    I beleive Old Guy was talking about this post....

    One thing that 'bothers' me a little, is that the replacement diaphragms that GPA uses for the 288-16K, requires a 'conversion kit'.

    There are other diaphragms that are sold by Sound Speaker Repair in Arizona that fit the Original Altec Drivers. And they are guaranteed as well. I am inclined to not install a conversion kit.
    There is no question in that post, only a statement that looks like you are leaning towards buying aftermarket diaphragms. Old Guys statement comes from his knowing that most aftermarket diaphragms are cheap Chinese junk. The only quality aftermarket diaphragms are the Radians, and even that is disputed. I understand you being leery of any kind of conversion, but in this case it's not warranted. The aftermarket diaphragms either come with the same "conversion" parts and don't mention it, or leave you to figure it out on your own.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Repace Diaphragms myself or send them to GPA?......


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Repace Diaphragms myself or send them to GPA?......

    Quote Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
    Some of us here are not as knowledgeable as you about Altec, Hence the question. I thought that was what this forum was for?

    So Excuuuuuuuuuuse me !
    Sorry if i offended...that wasn't the intent...it was more just to convey shock...

    I guess you just don't share the horror I feel towards cheap diaphragms.
    I am, or rather was, a professional. My income depended on being right. As well as reputation.

    I would never recommend a diaphragm some recone shop, even a good one, sourced from China. Especially when the real thing is what, 20 bucks more?

    If the attitude is keeping it original, how is it original with a junk diaphragm? In that case I would source NOS (new, old stock). They are out there. But to use cheap junk to make something look original places form at a higher premium than substance. Which is, in all honesty what's wrong with our politicians and this country. People vote for guys that look good and sound good. But make bad decisions.

    As ABG mentions the best aftermarket is the Radian, also US made. It's derivative of Renkus work after he left Altec. He contended Altec deliberately limited the HF response of the Symbiotik fram. The Emilar and Renkus Heinz use a similar fram.

    The Radian doesn't have the highs of the Pascalite fram, but handles abuse better. For live use I recommend them. This is small format only. In the big drivers GPA is the way to go. These parts have proven performance. As do NOS parts.

    As I said, using a cheap part to look original just makes me shudder. Again I apologize if I was too emphatic about expressing that and I hope you can understand.

    There are generally at least half a dozen ways to do anything. One right way, maybe two, and a lot of other options.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.